Hitting The Town On New Year's Eve? 4 Steps To Take If You're Involved In An Auto Accident

The holidays may be winding down, but you still have New Year's to get through. If you're going to be on the road for New Year's, you need to be concerned about potential car accidents. According to statistics, over 18,000 car accident-related injuries occur over the New Year's holiday. Because of this statistic, it's important that you prepare yourself for the possibility of a car accident if you're going to be on the road during this time. Here are four steps you need to take if you're involved in a car accident. 

Notify the Police

If you're involved in a car accident during the New Year's holiday, it's important that you notify the police; even if the accident was only a minor fender-bender. Drinking and driving tends to escalate during the holidays, especially on New Year's Eve. Because of that, you need to contact the police for any car accident that happens on New Year's. Without police involvement, you have no way of knowing if the person who hit you was intoxicated. 

Get Copies of All Reports

If you're involved in a car accident this New Year's Eve, make sure you request a copy of the incident number while the police are at the scene. You'll need that number to obtain copies of the police report, which you'll definitely need for any New Year's eve accidents. In addition to the accident report, you'll also need to obtain copies of the results for any drug/alcohol tests that are conducted following the accident. 

Seek Immediate Medical Attention

If you find yourself involved in a car accident over the New Year's Eve holiday, be sure to seek immediate medical attention, even if you're out of town. Don't let being out of town stop you from obtaining the medical care you need after a car accident. You may not have any broken bones, but that doesn't mean you're not injured. There are many silent injuries that can affect you after a car accident. Some of those injuries include whiplash, concussions and soft tissue damage. A thorough examination by an emergency room physician will identify those types of injuries. 

Hire a Car Accident Attorney

Finally, if you're involved in a car accident during the New Year's holiday, you need to hire an auto accident attorney, especially if drugs or alcohol were involved. An attorney will help you obtain the care and compensation you're entitled to. Consider a company like Wolfe  Jones Wolfe Hancock Daniel & South LLC today!